![]() |
| Thursday Evening's Temperature... A balmy -3 F. |
So, all of this talk of cold has me thinking about all of the fun gear I'll need once I'm up there. You see, in Memphis, things like boots, gloves, hats and scarves are really nothing more than accessories. It rarely gets below freezing, so the quality(and actual warmth) of these items is rarely a concern. They just have to be cute. But when it's 20 below... that's another story altogether.
With that being said, I am still a Southern Girl. And being raised a Southern Girl, I've been raised with certain ideas about what is appropriate to wear where. Until our snow/ice "storm" this past Thursday night, I'd never worn jeans to the theatre. But out of necessity, and concern that I'd kill myself in trousers and heels, I wore jeans and riding boots to the Orpheum for a Broadway show. (Please, don't tell my Memom!) I wear heels whenever possible, and never wear white tennis shoes outside of the gym.
Now, after 35 years of having "Southern Appropriate" beaten into my head, I have to learn a new definition of "appropriate." When it's -15 outside and two feet of snow is on the ground, is it now appropriate to wear big fur-lined boots to work? Do I wear them all day or do I keep "work shoes" at my desk to slip into? Do I finally get to wear a coat with a big furry hood? (I've always wanted one, but in Memphis, who really needs one?) Do I get to load up my wardrobe with wool and cashmere sweaters and toss the cotton/poly blends? Ooh... and silk long underwear? Really? Can I have some of that too?!
I'm headed to the land of the Frozen Tundra.... And the Mall of America.... And I need a new wardrobe....
This may not be so bad after all!

No comments:
Post a Comment